Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seymour and the Sisterhood

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeymourOnce

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Seymour and the Sisterhood Reply with quote

As someone raised like Seymour (and who stayed that way through his twenties), I’d be interested to see the strip explore the relationship between Seymour and the Sisterhood. In my thirties and beyond, I moved away from my fundamentalist upbringing, and felt some regret for how long I had remained in it. (And the way that the evangelical mouthpieces have largely supported Trump is kind of the end of the movement's political credibility.)

And yet. When the #MeToo movement got underway, it seemed like a long overdue vindication of the way I had lived and believed in my youth. I’m not completely comfortable with that, on several levels. I have ongoing doubts about how to value that time in my life. In general, I'm proud of my past self, but sometimes I pity him.

My adult daughter is a feminist, and I support her on that. I didn’t raise her as a fundamentalist. But (perhaps because of her youth?) she reminds me a lot of myself at that age. I see her having the same energy as I did for purity, perfection, and thought patrolling, even though the ingredients are different. (I have told her this.)

And it's not just her, to be clear. The tenor of the arguments, the shape of the movement, are familiar.

I don’t have simple answers, though, because the truth is that once in awhile, fundamentalists are on the right side of history. (Abolitionists, e.g.) But it’s a rigid approach that can cause a lot of damage (Prohibition, e.g.), and can take a long time to unwind. It’s very hard to quit. The sense of certainty is both comforting and energizing.

I find myself wondering about the kinds of conversations that Seymour and the Sisterhood might have. Do they recognize their common cause? Do they recognize themselves at all in each other? Do other characters see the similarity?

What happens to Seymour, if he steps into the Reality Zone? What about the Sisterhood?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: