Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 964, 965, 966 ... 968, 969, 970  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Absynthe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:
The next person to play Doctor Who has been announced.

I'm over here screaming, because it's about fucking time... also, she's awesome.
Taemon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's pretty great. I'm very happy.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. Let's talk this. Why is it relevant/important?.

Will casting a female doctor in the 21th century have more impact than say casting an imam or a Ru Paul? Casting an all female lead can also be a complete dud (looking at you Ghostbuster).

Please note I don't know the actress' work so far, she may be an excellent choice.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the doctor is from a whole different planet, and has traveled extensively in time and space - the chances of the doctor becoming any sort of relgious acolyte (imam, priest, rabbi, druid, whatever) are highly unlikely (elevated to the status of god, i think, has probably happened, but that's a different sort of thing).

the notion that one could cycle through male or female at any time of life, to me, opens the door to a different discussion of transgenderism, if one wants. is the assumption of a gender willingly or not? as i recall, the doctor keeps hoping to be a ginger, but that never happens, so how much control does a timelord have over their incarnations? one is tempted to think the doctor's recent adventures with Missy might have made the idea of a female incarnation more desirable (to the doctor) - but again, who know how much choice exists in all this? the doctor always seems to experience some changes in personality, how different is the change from male to female from the change from optimist to pessimist? from party-guy to curmudgeon?

i will miss Peter Capaldi, but i am very interested in seeing where this will go.

and yeah, it's about time. half of the population is female; it's more than past time we were more than sidekicks. i'm not familiar with this actress either, but the show has had a number of smart, inventive, determined (and even ruthless) female companions, so the writing, at least, should give us a good doctor.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very good points. Forgot all about The Master/Missy, even if as you mentioned The Doctor isn't able to choose his next incarnation hair colour.

I may not agree about the necessary lack of faith/spirituality of an advanced star culture but that's off topic.

Bowing to your elevated wisdom.
Taemon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor isn't shy about their atheism. They could never be a religious leader. As to why it is important that the Doctor isn't automatically male, I don't know what to tell you.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking less about a lack of spirituality, and more that he has seen so many different places with so many different religions, he's unlikely to pick one as the "true faith". mohammed was a human who lived in one country on earth; how many planets have even heard of the koran? especially the ones the doctor visited before mohammed was even born....
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam the Eagle wrote:
All very good points. Forgot all about The Master/Missy, even if as you mentioned The Doctor isn't able to choose his next incarnation hair colour.

then again, he said he chose the Capaldi face as a reminder (even if the choice was perhaps subconscious, and it took him a while to remember).....so who knows how much conscious or unconscious control is exercised?
Pedro_Martini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Female timelords (no, not timeladies) have been shown to have more control and influence over their regenerations than males, which we've also seen from the Doctor in recent years. He designed the War Doctor (admittedly with the help of some chemicals) to become more effective at ending the time war and 12 took his face from that dude in Pompeii. There're theories that say 10 chose his age to match Rose's and 11 chose to be young due to some mid-life crisis arising from killing the timelords again. Maybe a female incarnation was an inevitable side affect of him continually altering his regenerations to suit his needs.

Taemon wrote:
As to why it is important that the Doctor isn't automatically male, I don't know what to tell you.

Timelords, although being known to change sex, tend to skew towards one or the other. The Master stated recently that, in the many bodies he'd inhabited, Missy was his first female. The gallifreyan General in Hell Bent, after regenerating back to female, stated that of all her ten cycles only one had been male. In The Doctor's Wife the Doctor refers to an old timelord friend, the Corsair, who he remarks was female only a few times. The Doctor is long overdue a female form, but imagining him being male as a baseline isn't absurd.

Honestly though, I'm more excited for the new show-runner than the new Doctor. Moffat, with his lazly ill-conceived plot lines, blatant virtue signalling and no regard for character consistency, pretty much killed my enthusiasm for the show. Any change there is welcome, and since the new show runner and Doctor have worked together before, I think we'll see a nice dynamic.
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the difference between playing to an audience and practical sense. If I were a timelord with only 12 regenerations, I would pretty much always want to come back as a 5 year old child. Most timelords probably don't have the doctors constant death rate and would want to squeeze as much life out of each regeneration as they could.
Taemon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro_Martini wrote:
Taemon wrote:
As to why it is important that the Doctor isn't automatically male, I don't know what to tell you.

Timelords, although being known to change sex, tend to skew towards one or the other. The Master stated recently that, in the many bodies he'd inhabited, Missy was his first female. The gallifreyan General in Hell Bent, after regenerating back to female, stated that of all her ten cycles only one had been male. In The Doctor's Wife the Doctor refers to an old timelord friend, the Corsair, who he remarks was female only a few times. The Doctor is long overdue a female form, but imagining him being male as a baseline isn't absurd.

That was not the point. The one reason why all these Timelords were played by male actors is because male = better in our society. Of course I'm delighted the new Doctor is female.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
i was thinking less about a lack of spirituality, and more that he has seen so many different places with so many different religions, he's unlikely to pick one as the "true faith". mohammed was a human who lived in one country on earth; how many planets have even heard of the koran? especially the ones the doctor visited before mohammed was even born....

My bad, I mentionned imam as it is the faith of the month flavour while in fact I meant any, not "of the book", religion. I'm not and 'old-doctorian', read that then he was a lot more agnostic/atheist tehn(but haven't seen that much ep of that period so can't say)

Yet it seemed to me the current releases bordered too often on the spiritual (remember that episode where recently dead, incinerated were heard in the background). Hinduism is practiced in the UK, and not only by the Beatles with enough talented actors/actresses to fill the slot.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now for something completly different

I know you USians already have a lot on your plate to take notice of what's going on politically elsewhere curerntly.

Yet, it might be a good idea to pay attention to what is happening in Poland right now.
tl/dr version : Poland's ruling party is is making sweeping changes to his judiciary, Brussel is not happy. Given it's Brexit time, the EU has little or no choice about her stance.

Now, this may go either way, Poland may end up proudly isolated or back down and abide by EU rules/values as in the judiciary and especially the supreme court must be independant/free of political pressure. A large majority of it's citizen are pro-EU.

Interesting whatif scenario here. Will The Donald back up an all-alone Poland?
Chronometry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strix Varia wrote:
That is the difference between playing to an audience and practical sense. If I were a timelord with only 12 regenerations, I would pretty much always want to come back as a 5 year old child. Most timelords probably don't have the doctors constant death rate and would want to squeeze as much life out of each regeneration as they could.

Be honest, how much can you actually get done as a 5 year old? Given the option, I'd come back at 16 each time.

This poster is a white cismale heterosexual. Feel free to ignore him if he starts speaking nonsense.
Taemon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chronometry wrote:
Strix Varia wrote:

Be honest, how much can you actually get done as a 5 year old? Given the option, I'd come back at 16 each time.

The Doctor rarely dies of age, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 964, 965, 966 ... 968, 969, 970  Next
Page 965 of 970

Jump to: