Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The post-postwhoring thead of DOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 265, 266, 267, 268, 269  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Friday.

In fact his most recent couple of months have eschewed the one-off non-sequitur pieces like that one for a sprawling space opera, starting here.
The Victim Here

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaand caught up.
Taemon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, look, we had a big storm in The Netherlands today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcPigrboH0c

I think it's cool that we finally got some rough weather too (the insurance companies plus all the people who were stranded on the railway stations thought differently).
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished putting these together.

Fun fact: the Hubble image behind Nancy there is the same pic of a star-forming pillar in the Cone Nebula that I've had as a desktop wallpaper for the last 7+ years.

This is my first time putting together a "display" kit, and probably the first time I've actually bought new Lego in almost a decade.

Get your own here!
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
probably the first time I've actually bought new Lego in almost a decade.

how COULD you. You heartless bastard.

(I average about one lego kit a month, even if just a little one. Smile )
The Victim Here

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rashafrashindisposableincome
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Victim Here wrote:
Rashafrashindisposableincome

You definitely don't want to know about the week-long Amazon splurge surrounding that one, then. I'm still going to be getting packages from that through Tuesday.

I can stop any time.
The Victim Here

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time your bank account's empty.
*drumroll*
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which country is #1 all years for salamander biodiversity?

USA! USA! USA!

Within this wondrous hotspot of amphibious glory, there is an even hotter incandescence of variety: the Appalachian mountains! Famous as the home of mouth-breathing social regressives, it is also the originating source for the the world's skin-breathing lungless salamanders! These advanced amphibians are far more successful and varied than their uninspired, lung-having kinfolk.

Evolution favors the bold!

Speaking of Darwin's quaint musings, one of the rarest and most interesting phenomena in all of speciation creation is found in our North American No-Lung salamandies: The Ring Species.

A northern, Oregon-ern species gradually graduated southward into California, where it did what all things do in the Garden State: diverged into myriad forms, colors and genres of music into an eclectic hodge-podge of suspecies that got along with their neighbors well enough... until they hit a fork in the road. Branching at the outskirts of the Central Valley, two lines of lungless loungers diverged in a yellow wood. When they came out again at the other end, they wanted nothing to do with each other. They would only intermingle (in the Biblical sense) with the neighbors they off-shot from originally, leaving a gap in the interbreeding inclinations remarkable for being empty. So they proved to be exceptional examples of speciation in action by producing incompatibility in a single direction among several, setting a precedent for observational evolution that's only rarely ever been matched in the wild.

Less mountainously inclined wonders of the New(t) World are the amphiunas, of which there are three species distinguished (Seussianly enough) by the number of toes they possess: one, two, or three. You'd be hard-pressed to total up the tootsies on these hefty squirmers, though, because their legs are extremely reduced to the point that they're often mistaken for snaken.

Despite their diminished digitation, you'd be surprised by their size. They can stretch out almost four long despite lacking four proper feet, and their DNA is even weirder. Whereas your average human genome is about 3.2 billion bases long, the two-toed amphiuma tips the scales at 90 billion! What the heck are these sleek slither-frogs doing with all that DNA? Probably overcompensating for still being saddled with lungs.

Among the hipsters of the salamanderkin are the Eastern Newt, one of the most widespread on the continent. The young'uns are inseparable from the water, gilling it up in ponds and lakes until their travelin' teens.

Then they sport gaudy colors, a retro set of lungs, and strike out for the forest to live off the land... by living on the land, as the fully-terrestrial red eft.

After a few years, however, they quickly decide that living in the woods ain't all it's cracked up to be and move back in with mom and dad for the rest of their days as aquatic adults.

However, much like previous-gen humans holding onto a few juvenile articles of clothing as a totem against their own increasingly apparent mortality, these mid-life wrigglers cling pathetically to their cherished juvenile habit of wearing toxic skin with red spots to remind you that their personal bubble should be respected. Only a single subspecies is smart enough to skip the adventurous eft phase and go straight from feather-necked freckle-fish to even-keeled, keel-tailed sala-spawners.

This post brought to you by I'm bored, salamanders are cool, USA!, and science.

SCIENCE FACT: NEWTS ARE KYEWTS

Good night.
Taemon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thoroughly enjoyed that.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am proud to see the advances my state has made in salamander evolution; however, in the interest of FACTS(tm), i must point out that New Jersey is the Garden State, we are the Golden State.

although i guess if their musical genres focus on Springsteen, they could be Garden Staters at heart....

and my word, lungless! what will these kids do next?
The Victim Here

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can think for that final image is "LEWK AT MY NEWT"
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, my newt is amazing. Give it a lick*, it tastes just like raisins.

*Don't do this. Most salamanders are toxic, some of them moreso than the infamous poison dart frogs. In fact the Rough-skinned Newt produces the most lethal non-protein toxin known to man, roughly 1,200 times deadlier than cyanide. If you lick a newt, expect your body to forget how to breathe.
Absynthe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet sweet lemonade.

When we had our farm, I would see both orange and brown forms of the eastern newt, and didn't know they were the same species. Cool!
I spent a fair amount of time relocating wandering newts out of the barn and back into the swamp.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, I don't know that I've ever gotten to see a newt in person. They are cute little buggers.

I have seen those little green superfast darting lizards they have in Hawaii though! Everyone called them geckos but they weren't actually geckos, so now of course I can't remember what they were.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 265, 266, 267, 268, 269  Next
Page 266 of 269

Jump to: