Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the reign of president trump covfefe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 120, 121, 122  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you guessed that Trump's head speechwriter, David Sorensen, would be the next administration official to resign amid allegations of domestic abuse, well, give yourself a cookie and give me the winning lotto numbers.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier today:
Trump says Democratic memo from the House Intelligence Committee will be released soon:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/09/politics/trump-democratic-memo/index.html

Trump blocks the release of the Democratic memo:
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/09/trump-blocks-release-of-democratic-memo-402083?lo=ap_a1

A top DOJ official resigns to pursue a career in private practice. She's the 3rd from the top in the Justice Department, right underneath Rod Rosenstein, and would have had to take on all his duties if Rosenstein was fired.
Absynthe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Earlier today:
Trump says Democratic memo from the House Intelligence Committee will be released soon:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/09/politics/trump-democratic-memo/index.html

Trump blocks the release of the Democratic memo:
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/09/trump-blocks-release-of-democratic-memo-402083?lo=ap_a1

A top DOJ official resigns to pursue a career in private practice. She's the 3rd from the top in the Justice Department, right underneath Rod Rosenstein, and would have had to take on all his duties if Rosenstein was fired.

Countdown to leak of memo in 3... 2....
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how's Mick Mulvaney doing as interim head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau? About as well as we've all expected:
https://www.npr.org/2018/02/12/584980698/trump-administration-to-defang-consumer-protection-watchdog

Quote:
Peterson believes that had the lawsuit been pursued and the CFPB won, it could have clawed back money to help thousands of people who've allegedly been hurt by the lender.

People like Julie Bonenfant, 27, who does administrative work for the city of Detroit. Last year was a tough one for her — she broke up with her boyfriend, her car was stolen and she got behind on her rent. She found Golden Valley Lending online and and took out a loan, but she says she had no idea what she was getting herself into.

"I was literally facing eviction because I was so behind on my rent and I had no idea where I was going to come up with the money and it was just really rough," Bonenfant says. "It was just misleading — the way it was presented was literally, it was presented like I was going to make four large payments and then be done."

But after those four payments, the lender continued to take money directly out of her checking account. When she asked why, the lender told her she had agreed online to a lot more payments.

Bonenfant sent NPR a screen shot from the Golden Valley website. It says on her $900 loan, her scheduled payments in less than 12 months will total $3,735, or more than four times what she borrowed.

Bonenfant has so far paid more than $3,000 to Golden Valley and rung up more than $1,000 in overdraft fees at her bank.

When she showed it to her boss, he called the loan's terms "illegal."

Lawyers at the CFPB came to a similar conclusion. That's why back in April, the bureau sued Golden Valley Lending for unfair, deceptive and abusive business practices.

The lawsuit was moving forward, until Mulvaney came on board, when it was suddenly dropped.

"Dismissal of this lawsuit shows an outrageous disregard for the rule of law," says the former CFPB attorney Peterson, who calls the lender "one of the worst of the worst" for swindling many people around the nation of tens of millions of dollars.

A key backer of Golden Valley was recently convicted of racketeering charges in a case involving another online lender, according to court documents. Given this history, Peterson wonders why Mulvaney dropped the lawsuit against Golden Valley.

"The Trump administration is going to turn them loose and let them off the hook despite the fact they were making 950 percent interest rate loans to struggling families in ways that were illegal and unauthorized under both state and federal law," Peterson says.

Mulvaney declined requests for an interview. In an email, his press representative first said the decision to drop the Golden Valley lawsuit was made by "professional career staff" and not Mulvaney.

But several CFPB staffers that NPR spoke to say that's not true. The staffers, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of losing their jobs, say Mulvaney decided to drop the lawsuit even though the entire career enforcement staff wanted to press ahead with it.

After repeated questioning from NPR, Mulvaney's press person acknowledged that Mulvaney was indeed involved in the decision to drop the lawsuit.

[...]

For her part, Julie Bonenfant of Detroit still hasn't paid off her debt to Golden Valley. And she feels "betrayed" by the president, whose appointee dropped the lawsuit.

"To be honest I'm really mad, really pissed, because I actually voted for Trump," Bonenfant says. "So knowing that his guy threw out this case that affects people like me. I feel kind of like stupid — just kind of like betrayed."

Mulvaney hasn't officially offered details about why the case was dropped. Meanwhile, staffers at the bureau say they are worried Mulvaney will block more of their efforts to go after shady financial firms. He's reviewing numerous ongoing lawsuits and investigations.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FBI director contradicts White House's Porter timeline

Quote:
"I can't get into the content of what was briefed to the White House ... What I can tell you is that the FBI submitted a partial report on the investigation in question in March. And then a completed background investigation in late July. That soon thereafter, we received request for follow-up inquiry and we did the follow-up and provided that information in November and that we administratively closed the file in January," Wray said in response to questions from Sen. Ron Wyden, a Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee.

Wray added that the FBI "received some additional information" earlier this month and "passed that along as well."
Wray's timeline contradicts the White House's accounting of when it learned of the allegations against Porter and the status of the FBI's background check investigation to determine whether Porter could be granted a permanent security clearance.
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders claimed on Monday that the background investigation into Porter was still ongoing when the allegations became public and he later resigned.
"We let the process play out. It was ongoing. It hadn't been completed," Sanders said.
The White House began making that claim last Thursday when deputy press secretary Raj Shah claimed that the FBI's background investigation into Porter was "ongoing."

Porter was up for promotion despite abuse allegations
Quote:
Rob Porter was involved in serious discussions to be promoted when he abruptly resigned from the White House last week amid allegations that he abused his two ex-wives, multiple sources familiar with the matter tell CNN.
His anticipated elevation further highlights how top White House officials were willing to overlook indications from the FBI that there were potential abuse allegations in his background in exchange for professional competence in a tumultuous West Wing.
Porter had been actively lobbying to take on new policy portfolios outside the traditional scope of the staff secretary, one person familiar with the matter said, which included speechwriting duties and a role in planning policy rollouts. Neither of those tasks is traditionally carried out by the staff secretary.
One of the areas Porter was set to delve further into was trade policy, according to the person. Porter was a regular attendee at a weekly trade meeting among top-level administration officials.
He was also being considered for the deputy chief of staff position, another source familiar with the situation said. CNN reported Friday that Jim Carroll, who served as the deputy chief of staff for less than three months, was stepping down to helm the Office of National Drug Control Policy.
Several White House officials, including chief of staff John Kelly, were receptive to promoting Porter. Kelly had told associates that Porter was one of the few competent professionals on his staff and wanted to ensure that he was being used to his full potential. CNN has reported that Kelly was aware for months of the potential that Porter's ex-wives could present damaging information on him.
Kelly "definitely wanted to expand his role," a source familiar tells CNN.

I'm sure Hillary Clinton would have been worse.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully expecting Bill Clinton to support #TheDonald any day now.
Taemon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, why? Because of his pussy-grabbing? Breitbart would explode, though.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is only tangentially related to the topic, but I am officially becoming frightened of exactly how willing it seems the public have become to sweep aside any and all allegations of wrongdoing by anyone even remotely aligned with them politically.

I had thought some of the "post-truth" stuff that was being published 6 months ago was hyperbolic but no, this is really happening, we're dropping all pretenses of compromise or working towards some greater societal good. And even once Trump leaves office, the precedent has been set. The bar on what is good or right or even just acceptable in public office and political discourse has gone straight through the fucking floor.

I'm not even American and frankly I kind of just want to scream for a while.
The Thirties dreamed white marble and slipstream chrome, immortal crystal and burnished bronze, but the rockets on the covers of the Gernsback pulps had fallen on London in the dead of night, screaming. - William Gibson, The Gernsback Continuum
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:
Really, why? Because of his pussy-grabbing? Breitbart would explode, though.

Well, not exactly... and I should apologize to Miss Monica Lewinski for likening her to an, on set at least, professional.

@fritterdonut. We're going extreme for a bit right now. From where I stand it looks like US is going to erupt in flames, web or otherwise, at a tweet' notice. No more the rule of law applies, whatever the consequences.

And the thing is everyone seems afraid that the very same thing may happen in their respective countries. Even China, where I currently work, is being very careful about their statements. They tried to broad brush the West as decadent when #MeToo happened, the backlash was swift and stingy.
Taemon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in China? That's so cool. What work do you do? Furthering the hoax that is climate change?
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
And even once Trump leaves office, the precedent has been set. The bar on what is good or right or even just acceptable in public office and political discourse has gone straight through the fucking floor.

this is the thing i hate most about him (well, maybe). he has managed to put an already hyper-partisan situation into hyper-drive, and add a nice thick topping of just nastiness. and once being nasty just for the sake of nasty becomes the norm....i don't know how we walk back from that. or how long it will take, if we can.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so trump has finally managed to say he's against domestic violence:
Quote:
On Wednesday, during a tax event in the Roosevelt Room of the White House, Mr. Trump broke his silence on the issue of spousal abuse, saying: “I’m totally opposed to domestic violence of any kind. Everyone knows that, and it almost wouldn’t even have to be said.”

right. he's more against domestic violence than anyone, on account of he has more respect for women than anyone you've ever met.

and in other news, reince priebus has a chapter coming out in “The Gatekeepers: How the White House Chiefs of Staff Define Every Presidency,” by Chris Whipple. should be an interesting read.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:
You're in China? That's so cool. What work do you do? Furthering the hoax that is climate change?

IT, you can usually spot where I live/work looking at my sig which is the local translation of the same sentence ever since I logged in. I should upgrade it since I moved from Taiwan to Beijing but few people here think much of the difference between traditional Chinese and simplified here methink.

China does take that problem seriously. Spend a winter and you'll learn that the first thing you look up on your cell in the morning is the AQI (air quality index) for the day.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
so trump has finally managed to say he's against domestic violence:
Quote:
On Wednesday, during a tax event in the Roosevelt Room of the White House, Mr. Trump broke his silence on the issue of spousal abuse, saying: “I’m totally opposed to domestic violence of any kind. Everyone knows that, and it almost wouldn’t even have to be said.”

right. he's more against domestic violence than anyone, on account of he has more respect for women than anyone you've ever met.

I'm surprised he didn't try to mention that men were victims too. I can see him saying "victims comes from many sides, many sides"without missing a beat.
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:

there's over 100 years of data and science from around the world that disproves your statement. but do go on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 120, 121, 122  Next
Page 121 of 122

Jump to: