Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the reign of president trump covfefe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 133, 134, 135  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Does the churn abate? No. The churn does not abate.

Rex Tillerson out as Secretary of State; long live Secretary of State Mike Pompeo!

Let's see how much of the gutting of State Department was Trump and how much was Tillerson.

Apparently one of Tillerson's deputies in the State Department released a statement saying Tillerson found out about being fired along with everybody else, and didn't know the reason for it. This contradicts the White House version of events, in which Tillerson was informed on Friday.

That deputy was himself fired shortly after releasing the statement.

Perhaps seeing threads where none really are, but if true this could imply Tillerson was fired for his response to the Russian assassinations in the UK.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not saying that tillerson's response to the assassination attempt wasn't the last straw, but there have been rumors he would be replaced by pompeo for a while now. it does appear that trump did his usual classy move - letting the firee find out via twitter. as to "informing him on friday":
Quote:
But he had gotten an oblique warning of what was coming the previous Friday from the White House chief of staff, John F. Kelly, who called to tell him to cut short a trip to Africa and advised him “you may get a tweet.”

i also heard that he was told he should resign on friday, which of course is not at all the same thing as being fired.

i guess trump did manage to man up later:
Quote:
At the State Department Tuesday afternoon, Mr. Tillerson said the president had called him from Air Force One just after noon — more than three hours after Mr. Trump had tweeted the news of his firing to his 49 million followers — to inform him personally of the dismissal.
what a mensch.

i'm concerned that trump cited tillerson's difference of opinion on the iran deal as one reason he had to go - sounds like pompeo is another trump enabler who may encourage him to can the deal. the times article also says trump wants a new team in place for his negotiations with kim - doesn't seem to occur to him that if he kills a deal with iran, wherein they gave up nuclear weapons and which they have abided by, there is no way in hell kim is going to trust him in a deal to give up _his_ nuclear weapons.

McEntee is going to be fine though. he's joining trump's re-election campaign***. so they'll still be close.

*** plea to lawmakers - can we get something passed that says no one can start a re-election campaign until they are at least half-way through their term?
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and i noticed this story when i was reading the tillerson one. the title pretty much says it all: "White House Hails Success of Disease-Fighting Program, and Plans Deep Cuts".
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

Perhaps seeing threads where none really are, but if true this could imply Tillerson was fired for his response to the Russian assassinations in the UK.

That's my current take on the issue too, the straw that broke #TehCamel's back. Add the new Sec of State seems to be all for ending Iran's deal too.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you just think he cannot outdo himself #TheDonald scores!

This is just too much. I'll will waive my usual popcorn request for maple syrup for just this once.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maple syrup is actually very tasty on popcorn - so you can have both!

i keep wondering how much longer world leaders will even bother talking to trump - what's the point when a) he lies like he breathes and 2) he'll change his position next day anyway.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in other new, trump finally imposed some sanctions on russia.

well, not trump, exactly. his administration. he let mnuchin announce them. i'm guessing he's hoping that if he never actually mentions them, his buddy vlad won't blame him for them.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H.R. McMaster is out as National Security Advisor.
The worrying part is the rest of the article, though. Highlights:

Quote:
For all of the evident disorder, Trump feels emboldened, advisers said — buoyed by what he views as triumphant decisions last week to impose tariffs on steel and aluminum and to agree to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

"I did a big decide all by myself! Yay me! I'ma boot out the rest o' you naysayers!"

Quote:
The mood inside the White House in recent days has verged on mania, as Trump increasingly keeps his own counsel and senior aides struggle to determine the gradations between rumor and truth. At times, they say, they are anxious and nervous, wondering what each new headline may mean for them personally.

But in other moments, they appear almost as characters in an absurdist farce — openly joking about whose career might end with the next presidential tweet. Some White House officials have begun betting about which staffer will be ousted next, though few, if any, have much reliable information about what is actually going on.

That is ... not really the attitude you want to have in the Executive branch. Seems awful close to gallows humor.

Quote:
Trump recently told White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly that he wants McMaster out and asked for help weighing replacement options, according to two people familiar with their conversations. The president has complained that McMaster is too rigid and that his briefings go on too long and seem irrelevant.

Although I'm not surprised that Cadet Bone Spurs, aka Mr. ADHD President is easily bored and hates it when people go into detail about stuff he definitely needs to understand, it's still worrying to watch him reject someone for basically doing his job.

Quote:
Some in the White House have been reluctant to oust McMaster from his national security perch until he has a promotion to four-star rank or other comfortable landing spot. They are eager to show that someone can serve in the Trump administration without suffering severe damage to their reputation.

I'll bet everyone working there would like for that to be true.

Quote:
Trump enjoys watching his subordinates compete for his approval. Many of the rumors are fueled by Trump himself because he complains to aides and friends about other staffers, or muses about who might make good replacements.

“I like conflict. I like having two people with different points of view,” Trump said last week, rapping his fists toward one another to simulate a clash. “I like watching it, I like seeing it, and I think it’s the best way to go.”

Engendering conflict in your subordinates is not the sign of a good boss. Not to put too fine a point on it but I seem to recall Adolf Hitler using a similar management style, keeping his lackeys jockeying against each other for his favor.

Quote:
Also, Trump has sometimes expressed confusion about what agencies and secretaries are in charge of what duties, a senior administration official said. For example, this official said, he has complained to Pruitt about regulatory processes for construction projects, although the EPA is not in charge of the regulations.

President Trump being confused over what his people actually do is pretty damn worrying.

All of this has me legitimately frightened. It reinforces an excerpt from this Atlantic editorial:

Quote:
The administration is not divided into people who are loyal to Trump and those who are not. Rather, it is divided between those who know how to manipulate his vanity, his hatreds, his sensitivities, and those who do not. It is divided between those who think he is their ticket to fame and fortune and those who hope to survive this episode with their reputations more or less intact. It is divided, at the most fundamental level, between those willing to sell their souls completely and at a discount in the service of a man who is doing great damage to American norms and institutions, and those who are trying to get something for their country in return for the slices of honor and integrity that every day they reluctantly consign to the flames.
Taemon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But e-mails.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Quote:

Trump enjoys watching his subordinates compete for his approval. Many of the rumors are fueled by Trump himself because he complains to aides and friends about other staffers, or muses about who might make good replacements.

“I like conflict. I like having two people with different points of view,” Trump said last week, rapping his fists toward one another to simulate a clash. “I like watching it, I like seeing it, and I think it’s the best way to go.”

Engendering conflict in your subordinates is not the sign of a good boss. Not to put too fine a point on it but I seem to recall Adolf Hitler using a similar management style, keeping his lackeys jockeying against each other for his favor.

this is the one that really interested me, too. he keeps talking about liking people who have different points of view, but he so clearly doesn't. what he does like, it seems, is just seeing people fight....and that's kinda sick.

and damn, but mcmaster happened fast.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FBI’s Andrew McCabe is fired a little more than 24 hours before he could retire

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The President of the United States of America is on Twitter today going... well, for most people I would call it "apeshit" but for #45 I think it ranks a bit lower on the hysterics scale.

Quote:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/975057131136274432
As the House Intelligence Committee has concluded, there was no collusion between Russia and the Trump Campaign. As many are now finding out, however, there was tremendous leaking, lying and corruption at the highest levels of the FBI, Justice & State. #DrainTheSwamp

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/975062797162811394
The Fake News is beside themselves that McCabe was caught, called out and fired. How many hundreds of thousands of dollars was given to wife’s campaign by Crooked H friend, Terry M, who was also under investigation? How many lies? How many leaks? Comey knew it all, and much more!

Comey replies:
Quote:
https://twitter.com/Comey/status/975065073575219200
Mr. President, the American people will hear my story very soon. And they can judge for themselves who is honorable and who is not.

Also weighing in, former CIA director John Brennan:

Brennan wrote:
https://twitter.com/JohnBrennan/status/974978856997224448
When the full extent of your venality, moral turpitude, and political corruption becomes known, you will take your rightful place as a disgraced demagogue in the dustbin of history. You may scapegoat Andy McCabe, but you will not destroy America...America will triumph over you.

Trump wrote:
Andrew McCabe FIRED, a great day for the hard working men and women of the FBI - A great day for Democracy. Sanctimonious James Comey was his boss and made McCabe look like a choirboy. He knew all about the lies and corruption going on at the highest levels of the FBI!

And retired 4-star general Barry McCaffrey:
Quote:
https://twitter.com/mccaffreyr3/status/974748724176941056
Reluctantly I have concluded that President Trump is a serious threat to US national security. He is refusing to protect vital US interests from active Russian attacks. It is apparent that he is for some unknown reason under the sway of Mr Putin.

McCabe got fired right after it became publicly known that Mueller has been subpoenaing Trump's finances for a couple of months and recently subpoenaed documents from the Trump Organization. Make of that what you will.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclusive: Sources contradict Sessions' testimony he opposed Russia outreach

Quote:
(Reuters) - U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions' testimony that he opposed a proposal for President Donald Trump's 2016 campaign team to meet with Russians has been contradicted by three people who told Reuters they have spoken about the matter to investigators with Special Counsel Robert Mueller or congressional committees.

Sessions testified before Congress in November 2017 that he "pushed back" against the proposal made by former campaign adviser George Papadopoulos at a March 31, 2016 campaign meeting. Then a senator from Alabama, Sessions chaired the meeting as head of the Trump campaign's foreign policy team.

"Yes, I pushed back," Sessions told the House Judiciary Committee on Nov. 14, when asked whether he shut down Papadopoulos' proposed outreach to Russia.

Sessions has since also been interviewed by Mueller.

Three people who attended the March campaign meeting told Reuters they gave their version of events to FBI agents or congressional investigators probing Russian interference in the 2016 election. Although the accounts they provided to Reuters differed in certain respects, all three, who declined to be identified, said Sessions had expressed no objections to Papadopoulos' idea.

One person said Sessions was courteous to Papadopoulos and said something to the effect of "okay, interesting."

The other two recalled a similar response.

"It was almost like, 'Well, thank you and let's move on to the next person,'" one said.

However, another meeting attendee, J.D. Gordon, who was the Trump campaign's director of national security, told media outlets including Reuters in November that Sessions strongly opposed Papadopoulos' proposal and said no one should speak of it again. In response to a request for comment, Gordon said on Saturday that he stood by his statement.

Sessions, through Justice Department spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores, declined to comment beyond his prior testimony. The special counsel's office also declined to comment. Spokeswomen for the Democrats and Republicans on the House Judiciary Committee did not comment.

Reuters was unable to determine whether Mueller is probing discrepancies in accounts of the March 2016 meeting.

The three accounts, which have not been reported, raise new questions about Sessions' testimony regarding contacts with Russia during the campaign.

Sessions previously failed to disclose to Congress meetings he had with former Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak, and testified in October that he was not aware of any campaign representatives communicating with Russians.

Some Democrats have seized on discrepancies in Sessions' testimony to suggest the attorney general may have committed perjury. A criminal charge would require showing Sessions intended to deceive. Sessions told the House Judiciary Committee that he had always told the truth and testified to the best of his recollection.

Legal experts expressed mixed views about the significance of the contradictions cited by the three sources.

Sessions could argue he misremembered events or perceived his response in a different way, making any contradictions unintentional, some experts said.

Jonathan Turley, a law professor at George Washington University, said Sessions' words might be too vague to form the basis of a perjury case because there could be different interpretations of what he meant.

"If you're talking about false statements, prosecutors look for something that is concrete and clear," he said.

Other legal experts said, however, that repeated misstatements by Sessions could enable prosecutors to build a perjury case against him.

"Proving there was intent to lie is a heavy burden for the prosecution. But now you have multiple places where Sessions has arguably made false statements," said Bennett Gershman, a Pace University law professor.

The March 2016 campaign meeting in Washington was memorialized in a photo Trump posted on Instagram of roughly a dozen men sitting around a table, including Trump, Sessions and Papadopoulos.

Papadopoulos, who pleaded guilty in October to lying to the Federal Bureau of Investigation about his Russia contacts, is now cooperating with Mueller.

According to court documents released after his guilty plea, Papadopoulos said at the campaign meeting that he had connections who could help arrange a meeting between Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Papadopoulos continued to pursue Russian contacts after the March 2016 meeting and communicated with some campaign officials about his efforts, according to the court documents.

Trump has said that he does not remember much of what happened at the "very unimportant" campaign meeting. Trump has said he did not meet Putin before becoming president.

Moscow has denied meddling in the election and Trump has denied his campaign colluded with Russia.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goddammit I thought shit wasn't supposed to develop over the weekend. Has nobody any sense of decency anymore?

Turns out that just before Trump's lawyer publicly called for an end to the special investigation into his client, he received a list of questions from Mueller.
It's easy to imagine this list scared Trump and his defense attorney shitless.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, this is not about Stormy Daniels anymore?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 133, 134, 135  Next
Page 126 of 135

Jump to: