Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

give tatsuya ishida your moneys
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plotthickens

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***You're secretly Tat, aren't you?***

I wish. Just a massive fan. I know what some artists have to dredge through... especially in the HOLY CRAPSTICKS THAT'S EXPENSIVE Bay Area.

The evil that is making money off an audience -- not just advertising but the harvesting of our personal data for corporation's delectations -- can be ended by supporting the artists and creators we enjoy. Paying for what you like is how to get more of it. It's ethical, it's realistic, and it's really fucking cheap to get a month's comics for a measley buck or three.

Only makes sense.

*** sorry, the HTML tags went buggy.
Taemon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt91 wrote:
I'm kind of curious, is he any more social towards Patrons? I mean, he hasn't updated the "Resistance" thing in forever beyond the Patreon announcement, and even then, rather than talk about anything, his update was literally "Hi", four words, and a "Happy New Year".

I'm not saying that he needs to regale us with his entire life, but it would be nice to see something beyond the comic and whatever Patron rewards there are just being thrown out of the void with absolutely nothing else, especially since the people are literally giving him money.

We are giving him money because he provides us with his art, which we love. I'm perfectly fine with him being silent otherwise. He doesn't owe us any personal stuff.
cleocatra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhuinden wrote:
cleocatra wrote:
I'm holding off until I can be sure he's not actually a terf because signs so far have been a bit Confused

You guys have like the weirdest reasons and fears in the world.

I'm trans

it's kinda important that I don't give money towards someone who wants me to be eradicated from the earth
Nobody Important

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleocatra wrote:
I'm trans

it's kinda important that I don't give money towards someone who wants me to be eradicated from the earth

Does he though? I haven't noticed any transphobia in his strips. He does seem swerf-y but he doesn't come across as a terf to me (at least not intentionally). Idk maybe I missed something.
Draculaura

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who's got the ringer strip

Tengo que ir a la tienda a comprar mantequilla y queso.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't remember the ringer strip, but the "dick detector" does come to mind

also it's not weird at all to not wanna financially support terf viewpoints when they harm trans people so much. why would you think that's weird, hmm.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sinfest.net/view.php?date=2011-11-03

http://www.sinfest.net/view.php?date=2013-07-05

http://www.sinfest.net/view.php?date=2013-10-18

just vague enough that he might not be a terf or opposed to trans folks in any sense, but also leaving just enough room for the possibility that he could be - situations are just specific enough that it might not be about trans issues at all, or they could be metaphors for his opinions about trans folks and issues ... so with the absence of a definitive statement, or any exploration of these issues ... we have no way of knowing for sure.
Nobody Important

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:

http://www.sinfest.net/view.php?date=2011-11-03

http://www.sinfest.net/view.php?date=2013-07-05

http://www.sinfest.net/view.php?date=2013-10-18

just vague enough that he might not be a terf or opposed to trans folks in any sense, but also leaving just enough room for the possibility that he could be - situations are just specific enough that it might not be about trans issues at all, or they could be metaphors for his opinions about trans folks and issues ... so with the absence of a definitive statement, or any exploration of these issues ... we have no way of knowing for sure.

The first strip seems kinda like Slick being Slick since Squig and Monique didn't seem to mind being in the trans state. The second one though, yeah I'm hoping that one's just worded badly. Third one's a little iffy as well though it could also be just be literal. Like maybe it's actually nothing more than them being aware that the things are actually devil tech hence why they wanted to shoo them away without there being any metaphor. I'm gonna see that cigar as just a cigar for now.

Last edited by Nobody Important on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Taemon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what's wrong with the ringer one - surely it's the bots that are being transphobic, acting all caricaturally?
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the first one is clearly about slick - he's so fixated on his identity as male, he completely freaks out about the possibility that he might have lost his ....um....male attribute. it just hits again on how much he is controlled by that one organ (remember all the strips where he is being dragged around by his crotch because he's seen an attractive woman).

the second one - well, it _is_ posted as a women only space. now, you can argue about how appropriate that is, but one you have designated it that way, you can accept that the people who have so designate it would want to enforce it.

and in the third one i think they are showing that the drones have totally not fooled them, with their ridiculously stereotypical behavior - which is probably exactly how milton thinks women behave.

but i think the real bottom line on all of these is that tat has only relatively recently started really reassessing his past beliefs; he's still learning about things, and he probably realizes that he is still having problems with it (certainly he does if he ever reads the comments). and given that, i think he is deliberately staying away from addressing trans issues - he's having enough trouble just with feminism. his trans stuff in the past was played for humor (note the first strip is 6 years old); he probably feels he hasn't learned/though about it enough to address it more substantially. at least he isn't making jokes like that any more.
cleocatra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in addition, that comic where "SWERF" was rated the same as "bitch", and a lot of swerfs crossover with terfs

plus trans women (and from what I know, probably trans men) are over represented in sex workers so it's like with all of the stuff done so far there's been nothing about the types of people most likely to choose sex work other than "ooh look at the big bad pimp forcing women to be bomfed"

like there's one person on twitter who I like chatting with who was trafficked when she was younger, but she said she's interested in sex work, but can't emotionally choose it b/c of her past. She's also trans.

There's like a lot of stuff which is just glossed over in the bomf district, like the whole thing with feminism is about choice, and not choosing for others. But in how things are set up there's no real choice there. There's only the belief that no people would choose sex work, and it's only the patriarchy who would say people enjoy this sort of thing or under the threat of violence from the patriarchy.

I admit I went a bit wavy in this, since it's not all about terfy stuff but mostly about swerfy things, but like I said, most the swerfs I've seen on twitter have been terfs too.
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
the second one - well, it _is_ posted as a women only space. now, you can argue about how appropriate that is, but one you have designated it that way, you can accept that the people who have so designate it would want to enforce it.

The issue with the second strip is that does "dick detector" mean "we have detected a person possessing of a penis!" or "we have detected a person acting like a dick [jerk]"? The first one is very obviously transphobic because it means the space is off-limits to women who possess a penis. The second is the interpretation that might make it okay, because yeah, Slick is acting like a dick by trying to march in on a designated women-only space and not respecting the boundaries that have been drawn or the reasons for those boundaries existing.

So it's not an issue with the women-only space existing or being enforced, it's how the characters are enforcing it. Because we've seen that Tat generally portrays the Sisterhood as being on the side of Good and Right, and portrays women-only spaces as being an amazing thing. If he also believes that these spaces should only be open to vagina-havers/people who are designated female at birth... then we have a problem.

But again, it's just ambiguous enough that we've no way of knowing for sure until Tats decides to spell things out.
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt91 wrote:
I'm kind of curious, is he any more social towards Patrons? I mean, he hasn't updated the "Resistance" thing in forever beyond the Patreon announcement, and even then, rather than talk about anything, his update was literally "Hi", four words, and a "Happy New Year".

I'm not saying that he needs to regale us with his entire life, but it would be nice to see something beyond the comic and whatever Patron rewards there are just being thrown out of the void with absolutely nothing else, especially since the people are literally giving him money.

A little bit! When he uploads old strips he'll often add a little bit of commentary, like "I like the assassin bot's last line here, but the dialogue felt a little too on the nose, even for me Wink". And he recently replied to a commenter who asked about the reason for Li'l E's memory loss.

Yinello wrote:
190 patrons

Holy moly

I always wondered how many people read Sinfest - still not an accurate number but it's way more than I thought.

240, now xD I always suspected there had to be quite a large "stealth readership" for Tats to be able to keep doing the comic every day on nothing more than ad revenue and a couple of books (I'm sure he has other side gigs, but he must devote a huge portion to his time to Sinfest, and most other daily webcomic creators have loads of merch and do things like commissions and con appearances). But it's gratifying that so many are obviously still following the comic after everything, and willing to support it financially.
Taemon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goal reached! How satisfying.
cleocatra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enchantedsleeper wrote:
mouse wrote:

The issue with the second strip is that does "dick detector" mean "we have detected a person possessing of a penis!" or "we have detected a person acting like a dick [jerk]"? The first one is very obviously transphobic because it means the space is off-limits to women who possess a penis. The second is the interpretation that might make it okay, because yeah, Slick is acting like a dick by trying to march in on a designated women-only space and not respecting the boundaries that have been drawn or the reasons for those boundaries existing.

So it's not an issue with the women-only space existing or being enforced, it's how the characters are enforcing it. Because we've seen that Tat generally portrays the Sisterhood as being on the side of Good and Right, and portrays women-only spaces as being an amazing thing. If he also believes that these spaces should only be open to vagina-havers/people who are designated female at birth... then we have a problem.

But again, it's just ambiguous enough that we've no way of knowing for sure until Tats decides to spell things out.

yeah
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: