Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

January 20: Pimpbot Order 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: January 20: Pimpbot Order 3 Reply with quote

I agree!

Click here to see my artwork!
Click here to check out my Tweets!
Onimaru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree as well, however this is Abby's Job, so I'm very interested to see how this plays out, if she listens to Monique and if there are consequences. Or if she defies Monique to keep her job, and if there are consequences there.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are nique and abby just like, mikos surrogate moms now cuz until we're shown mikos actual parents im just gonna assume so
kagalei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree the request needs to be destroyed, Abby's going to have to do it carefully. Have an accident on the way to processing; all of the day's requests are destroyed.
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:
I would agree as well, however this is Abby's Job, so I'm very interested to see how this plays out, if she listens to Monique and if there are consequences. Or if she defies Monique to keep her job, and if there are consequences there.

I agree. This could be the issue that finally forces a conflict between Abby's day job and her girlfriend's activism. Obviously Monique doesn't blame Abby for what she has to do for a living, but is she going to understand that it isn't as easy for Abby to just defy "The Man" as she thinks, without jeopardising her position?

(Or will Abby manage to carry it out despite her situation, just as she managed to get Roxanne's application fulfilled in spite of everything, and no conflict will arise? I'm 50/50 at this point. Tats seems to be setting up something, but knowing him, it could easily come to naught).
HKVeteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:

You are assuming Sinfest has any subtlety
Auric

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sign does say "Anything You Want"...

I have become pure water.
fnordius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, as a repeat customer, does he have anything left to offer? His soul already belongs to the Devil, others are better at getting souls, so what does DevilCorp have to gain if he cannot pay?
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may be a sort of pyramid scheme - pimpman now delivers the souls of his clients, and maybe even those of his employees.

i wonder if abby can adjust some of the details of the new pimp-bot - lovely shag carpeting, but drop the ability to zap the women who stand up to him?
Sojobo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fnordius wrote:
The thing is, as a repeat customer, does he have anything left to offer? His soul already belongs to the Devil, others are better at getting souls, so what does DevilCorp have to gain if he cannot pay?

Signing a contract at the Devil's booth is a symbolic gesture, nothing more. The actual selling of one's soul happens in actions we choose, as we betray our moral principles for worldly gain.

For the Pimp, the active oppression of his employees in exchange for wealth is a continual process of selling his soul. His payment options will never dry up as long as he can find ways to harm others for his own gain.
Onimaru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine his receipt will look much like Sam's AKA souls corrupted and given on his behalf.

I don't know if it's all that symbolic though, or at least not a stand alone for symbolism in the comic.
d5xtgr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
Signing a contract at the Devil's booth is a symbolic gesture, nothing more. The actual selling of one's soul happens in actions we choose, as we betray our moral principles for worldly gain.

No. It's an agreement - someone who's lived a virtuous life, whose soul would otherwise not belong to the Devil, makes a deal. The Devil gets what he wants - that person's soul - and the person making the deal gets something he wants.

• Sometimes the mortal's wish is hedonistic, which is fine with the Devil - now he has two claims on that soul, one from the bargain and one from the person's sinful hedonistic conduct after the bargain. Faust is an example of this; while he later repented of his immoral behaviour, he still lost his soul due to the bargain.
  • Sometimes the mortal's wish is selfless, such as wishing for a sick person to be healed. An example of this is Ghost Rider. There's an important caveat - the mortal's end of the bargain has to be the surrender of his soul, not rendering some other service to the Devil. Otherwise, the selfless act can redeem him (Kenny from South Park, John from Constantine).
  • And sometime's it's just trivial - this guy just asked for a shirt, which you see him wearing while he's roasting in hellfire.

But if you want a mecha, your own solitary soul probably isn't enough for the Devil to strike that bargain. So for Sam, and likely for this guy, they undertake to corrupt a certain number of people so that the Devil may claim their souls. That's why Sam's receipt was for 1.7 million souls, and not just his own. The fact that such a pact is inherently corrupting to Sam and gives the Devil claim to his soul is just gravy.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The natural reading of 1.7M souls to be paid during wars, is that Uncle Sam is obligated to kill 1.7M people. The booth makes it clear that the price for a Devil-contract is your soul. It follows that killing 1.7M is the mechanism by which Uncle Sam transfers his soul.

You may favour a different "natural reading" of the meaning of 1.7M souls. It is probably arguable.

But. Your insistence that the transference of souls is a contract matter necessitates that Uncle Sam must literally convince 1.7M other people to sign contracts giving their souls to him, to be later transferred to the Devil. This doesn't seem like a strictly impossible reading, but it doesn't fit at all with the footnote about being paid in war. The Uncle Sam strip is a strong argument against your position.

That being said, the T-shirt-Guy strip is a fairly strong argument on your side. We are shown no misdeeds other than the signing of the contract. That's as strong an implication as possible that it is the signing, and only the signing, that cost him his soul.

I expect the true answer is that Tat shifts it around as best suits his jokes or narrative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: