Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game of Thrones

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatsuya Ishida
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Game of Thrones Reply with quote

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/

Sociological storytelling versus psychological/individualized storytelling. Really important observation in our hyper-individualistic society.
AnonFan

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never actually watched GoT [1], but this article definitely transcends the show itself. It was a very interesting read, and I completely agree, modern society is strongly focused around the concept of the dominant figure who rights all of the wrongs and who the story cannot live without. Zeynep's comments into the possible implications for modern machine intelligence is also very insightful.

[1] Nothing against those who do watch and like the show! I'm just not a big TV person, and I couldn't bring myself to watch a show which is reported to have so much sexual coercion as it makes me uncomfortable (personal preference).
Z6IIAB

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I liked Tufekci's article, I couldn't bring myself to watch GoT. People have told me it has unconfortably detailed rape scenes - and also questionable regarding its validity to tell the story, both in television and the books. So I'm with Anonfan there, that's the main reason I don't read the books, even thought fans have told me it's not as "extra" as it was on television.

I think the only kind of rape mention or rememoration I'm confortable watching is one from the victim's POV, after the events have happened and in a way that doesn't need to be explicitly sexual for us to see the impact it caused on the victim's life. Like the one I watched on Netflix's "Tuca and Bertie", episode 9.

But again about the article, gotta say I agree with the author, she's right and I do enjoy a good sociological drama too! Some excerpts I think summarize a bit of the main idea:

Quote:
When someone wrongs us, we tend to think they are evil, misguided or selfish: a personalized explanation. But when we misbehave, we are better at recognizing the external pressures on us that shape our actions: a situational understanding. If you snap at a coworker, for example, you may rationalize your behavior by remembering that you had difficulty sleeping last night and had financial struggles this month. You’re not evil, just stressed! The coworker who snaps at you, however, is more likely to be interpreted as a jerk, without going through the same kind of rationalization. This is convenient for our peace of mind, and fits with our domain of knowledge, too. We know what pressures us, but not necessarily others.

Quote:
The hallmark of sociological storytelling is if it can encourage us to put ourselves in the place of any character, not just the main hero/heroine, and imagine ourselves making similar choices. “Yeah, I can see myself doing that under such circumstances” is a way into a broader, deeper understanding. It’s not just empathy: we of course empathize with victims and good people, not with evildoers.

But if we can better understand how and why characters make their choices, we can also think about how to structure our world that encourages better choices for everyone. The alternative is an often futile appeal to the better angels of our nature. It’s not that they don’t exist, but they exist along with baser and lesser motives. The question isn’t to identify the few angels but to make it easier for everyone to make the choices that, collectively, would lead us all to a better place.

Nevertheless, I have some prejudices against the author of the original book series and I see him as a pompous buffon with a psychotic murderous tendencie lol. I admit I might be completly wrong and I have nothing to base those prejudices on except I hate his face and I don't like men who include sordidly detailed rape scenes in their fictions, even when it "makes sense".
Call me Celina. I've been a fan since 2007, and tried to enjoy the old forum since then too. Now that we have a forum for radfems/people who actually enjoy the comic! Hell yes! I'll call up all my buddies here!! Armageddon is coming.
GothHick

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to re-read that article with an eye to what Tatsuya mentioned. I'd come across it some time ago, read about a third and felt my frustrations were more succinctly ( and no less accurately ) addressed by pointing out books are more carefully planned and tv scripts are more "make it up as you go along." See also : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAhKOV3nImQ ( spoiler warning if that matters )

Z6IIAB wrote:
While I liked Tufekci's article, I couldn't bring myself to watch GoT.

Yeah, I can't say I know you beyond what I've read here but I suspect that's a good call. Snipes about the author-as-psychotic aside, even if you go back to the source material I think you'd find him an unforgivably lazy writer who overuses tropes as storytelling shorthand. Personally, I kind of dig reading almost any fiction just to see how authors put stories together, so references to existing forms, however cliched or distasteful, tend not to be dealbreakers for me.

I'd say your dismissal is a pity because you'd likely enjoy some of the sociological drama ( nothing mindblowing but it's nice to see anything in a swords and sorcery genre exercise ), but I dunno. I wouldn't appreciate someone recommending I visit a farm if I say I like animals but can't stand the smell of excrement.

Any fantasy / science fiction you'd reccommend or find intriguing? I'm always looking for suggestions.
janelane

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey GothHick, if you're a big fan of science fiction, might I recommend watching Love, Death + Robots on Netflix if you haven't already? It's a fantastic series of unrelated short animated films that deal with science fiction themes. I've enjoyed them immensely!
GothHick

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation! I have seen it and it brought me joy just to see an anthology of animation shorts. That the story quality was solidly Twilught Zone level was icing on the cake. Kinda reminded me of the stuff I've seen on YouTube out of Oats Studio.

Look, though - I appreciate the response but belatedly realized my solicitation for recommendations is crazy far afield from what Mr. Ishida was originally posting about. I think its best to move this chatter to another topic ( see 'Game of Thrones is done, now what' ).
Z6IIAB

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janelane wrote:
Hey GothHick, if you're a big fan of science fiction, might I recommend watching Love, Death + Robots on Netflix if you haven't already? It's a fantastic series of unrelated short animated films that deal with science fiction themes. I've enjoyed them immensely!

I've watched those! They're pretty cool. I liked the one with the 3 bots and the cats. Dope ^^

Thanks for the input GotHick. I like fiction, but I don't like medieval/war fiction. I find it boring, at best. Maybe if women aren't raped I'd give it a go lol
Call me Celina. I've been a fan since 2007, and tried to enjoy the old forum since then too. Now that we have a forum for radfems/people who actually enjoy the comic! Hell yes! I'll call up all my buddies here!! Armageddon is coming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: